No piece of pumpkin should truly go to waste! ? So, in addition to roasting my pumpkin and turning it into puree, I’m roasting the seeds and kicking them up a notch with the likes of a little smoked paprika and ancho chili pepper!
I find that when I put these out, everyone seems to flock to them because they are the perfect little crunch with the right amount of saltiness & heat!
I love making these each year, but once I start eating them, I have a very hard time stopping. I’m a lover of all things spicy and while most people crave sweets, I crave salt!
There are so many variations of seasonings and certainly you can use any variety of spices that you like, but this is my personal fave. I’ve used this recipe two years in a row and everyone seems to rave about it. So, I couldn’t wait until the time was right to share it with all of you!
SPICY PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. After you’ve finished scooping your seeds out of your pumpkin. Place them in a colander and rinse them off. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of avocado oil on a baking sheet and spread the seeds out on to it. Mix the seeds up so they are coated with the avocado oil and place them in the oven for 30 minutes. This is to dry them out. Remove them from the oven and sprinkle them with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the spices. Don’t forget to sprinkle some sea salt depending on how salty you want them. Mix them around so they are well coated and pop them back in the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Once they are done. Place them in a bowl and serve.