A decade ago, I went to a party at my cousin’s house and she made the best ribs I ever tasted!!! Prior to that day, I typically avoided ribs because I’d never had ribs that were moist, juicy, and incredibly tender.. they practically fell off the bone! Not to mention, they were smothered in.. just the right amount of BBQ sauce!
Needless to say, I took her recipe and began making them at almost every gathering I had. In fact, I’m known for “bringing the ribs!” ?
But over the years, I’ve tweaked the original recipe in many different ways, and I’ve changed the recipe.. depending on the season.
So in honor of “fall” and “football season..” I give you these deliciously sticky, sweet, tender, tasty, baby back ribs.. cooked with onions, apples, and.. yep, you guessed it.. BACON!!!
I promise they’ll be the best ribs you’ve ever tasted & a total hit at your tailgate!
SLOW COOKER APPLE BACON RIBS
Slow Cooker Apple Bacon Ribs
- 2 1/2 pound slab of ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 Honey Crisp Apples
- 8 ounces of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 6 strips of bacon made separately
- (roast the bacon on a wire rack on a baking sheet at 400 until crispy)
- Rinse the ribs and pat dry. Slice the ribs and line an oven rack with tin-foil. Place the ribs on the rack. Brush them with olive oil on both sides. And sprinkle generously with my “coffee & garlic” rub which is..
- ground coffee
- maple sugar
- sea salt
- granulated garlic
- granulated onion
- smoked paprika
- red pepper flakes
- (Use equal parts of each, so for example.. 1 teaspoon of everything)
- You’ll use about 2 tablespoons for this recipe. Place the rack in the oven. And broil on high for about 10-15 minutes or until brown on both sides, turning once. Quarter the onion and place it in the slow cooker. Quarter the apples and add them as well. Remove the ribs from the oven and place them in the slow cooker on top of the apples. Pour the BBQ sauce over the ribs. Cover and set on low for 6 hours. Once the ribs are done. Slice the bacon and sprinkle it over the top.